"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pollyannaish frame of mind

Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me.
Let there be peace on earth
The peace that was meant to be.
With God as our father
Brothers all are we.
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now.
With every step I take...
Let this be my solemn vow.
To take each moment
And live each moment
With peace eternally...
Let there be peace on earth,
And let it begin with me.

The husband and wife songwriting team of Sy Miller and Jill Jackson (the brains behind the lyrics of this beautiful song) envisioned a future of world peace.  The words of this song express what they believed each one of us can do to create it.

The song was first sang by a group of teenagers of various races and religions on a mountain top in the summer of 1955.  Since then the song has travelled around the world as though it had wings of its own, creating a universal atmosphere of peace and understanding for humanity. 

Wouldn’t it be awesome if “Let peace begin with me…” becomes every human being’s personal goal?  Then we can say goodbye to violence, racial discord, irreconcilable differences and every negative force that has prevented our world from enjoying the benefits of pure peaceful existence.


Although it seems unimaginable, it is never too late to embark on a peace mission.  If everyone, and I do mean everyone, will only commit to allowing their minds to experience freedom from everyday annoyance and distraction, and maintaining harmony in their corners of the world, the big picture of world peace can be attainable.  Monumental accomplishments are the results of little things working together to create the magic.

My thinking is that bad news keep popping up all over the globe because the citizens are restless... demotivated... unbalanced... uninspired...and peace-deprived.  Clearly, an Invisible Supreme Being is not at the forefront of their lives nor a major force in their daily existence.  Serenity of the mind contributes to the achievement of tranquil environments.  If everyone will become God-fearing and respectful of boundaries, the world will be transformed into an amazing universe. 


Sy Miller and Jill Jackson couldn't have expressed a peacemaker's vision more profoundly...  "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me…” 

Let's second the motion.