"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Thursday, February 10, 2011

Metallic nonsense

You might have encountered, even know someone in your life, people who wear metallic ornaments on their face and body.  They’re not content to wear multiple earrings on their earlobes and noses, they have pins or metal accessories hanging from their eyebrows, foreheads, the sides of their cheeks, chins and the bottom of their lips.

Have I been living under a rock… or is this outrageous look the latest fashion trend?

One day a middle school kid came on board the bus I was riding.  He was shining… literally speaking.  His face was mapped with piercings… from the top of his forehead to the bottom of his chin.  From every pierced skin hang a metallic piece.  The tip of his nose was covered with round metals (three on each nostril) and it made me instantly wonder how he would handle a cold.  How would he sneeze or blow his nose?  In subzero temperatures, like we just experienced, his metal-cluttered nose might not take the frigid condition well.  What if icicles form inside his nostrils, as what typically happens in below zero weather?  I can just imagine the pain and discomfort.

Even the metal rings on his top and bottom lips bothered me.  How can he enjoy his meals, savoring the food, with all those dangly things in the way? Did he think that a girl would want to kiss him when there are so many metals to put up with?

It was astonishing to come face-to-face with someone who had metals dangling all over his face.  I certainly couldn’t comprehend the rationale behind it.  If he was simply making a fashion statement, he definitely went overboard.  Hopefully, he takes off the metals adorning his face, nose and ears, which probably total 30 or more, before he takes a shower or washes his face.  Putting on all the metal accessories must take some time.  It’s mind-boggling to me why someone like him would go to all that trouble.  The look was more scary (to me) than appealing. 

I was curious, too, what his face would look like when every metal piece was taken out.  Surely the piercings on his cheeks, forehead, nose, lips and chin would show.  Well, if the metallic look brings joy to his heart and gives him a great deal of self-esteem, the facial metal clutter had done a good job!  Personally, I don’t wish that many people would wear that look as it’s visually upsetting for people like me.  Unfortunately, besides the young ones, even grown-ups, who should know better, have donned the metallic look.  Not just the men, but the women, too.  Mind you, their age was, obviously, not a factor in their decision.

Growing up Catholic, I’ve been indoctrinated that the human body is a temple to be revered.  That’s the reason that I don’t have tattoos on any part of my body.  My ears are pierced so that I can wear earrings and that's the extent I'm willing to go with body piercing.  Apparently, I'm all-out old-fashioned and proud of it! 

I guess it’s true that people will do anything to rock their world.  My wish for them is that it’s all worth the pain and trouble.  But deep down, I would rather see people look clean and uncluttered.  It is my belief that mankind was created in God's likeness.  I don't think that God has a ring dangling from his nose.