"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The cold blast

Today my neck of the woods is in Deep Freeze.  It’s been a long while since a -1 degree morning came along.  Yesterday school and public office closings were announced in anticipation of today’s blasty cold spell. Because my company didn’t go with the majority closing decision, I took matters into my own hands.  I declared it a personal Extreme Cold Day and stayed home.

I figured that work can wait because I can’t risk the danger of getting frost bitten.  In temperatures like this, frost bite can set in within less than 15 minutes.  Sometimes that’s how long I have to wait for my ride.  So I decided that staying home was the only way to go.  Actually, although I’m sitting in my comfort zone, with the heat in full blast, I’m feeling the onset of a headache.  I think it’s caused by the cold drafts coming through the huge glass windows.  So I can just imagine what it must be like standing outside waiting for the bus, my body in direct confrontation with nature.

Sometime ago I shared with my friend my weather-related anxiety.  You see, where I live our recent winter has been snow-deprived which was rather unusual.  I told her that I was afraid that it might be a foreshadowing of really harsh and brutal weather. Years ago the same thing happened and before we knew it came the horrible blizzard.   This time, there might not have been a heavy dumping of snow, but the temperatures have gone down to record lows.  My consolation is that unlike other cities, mine isn’t going through blizzard conditions and suffering the consequences of the snow fury.

Wind chills below zero are expected this afternoon.  I’m so fortunate to be spending time indoors!  This is when I feel for the folks whose work take their bodies outdoors, such as the shoveling crews and garbage collectors.  Even if they’re compensated well for what they do, nothing beats doing a job inside a warm and comfortable work area.  A hot cup of coffee completes the picture!

Today is another occasion to feel grateful for the blessing of my comfort zone.  Its four walls protect me from the weather’s wrath and people’s harm.  Come to think of it, every day that I wake up with all my body parts working is a reason to say Thank You, Jesus.