"If I can lift you up when you're down, I would have done a very good job! Thank you for dropping by."



Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Did Bachelor Brad finally find someone?

Every Monday night since the New Year, I fell into a rut:  Watching Brad Womack date multiple pretty women in the hopes of finding love.  Many times in the past when “The Bachelor” or “The Bachelorette” came on my TV screen, I vowed I would never waste my time on it.  But my bus buddy, Doug, is usually tuned in and might inquire about my thoughts as he normally does.  No way am I going to let him down by saying the unutterable, “I’m not watching it anymore.”  It would be like betraying our silent alliance.  You see, we watch the same reality TV shows and talking about them on the bus ride home makes for delicious conversation.

Then last night (when "The Bachelor" aired), Doug made a confession:  "I don't know if I'd want to watch it.  I don't like the way Brad talks to the women.  He comes across as insincere."  A man reading another man needed pause for contemplation.  But for some reason, I ended up defending Brad to Doug, saying that perhaps it's a case of nerves.... that Brad was abandoned by an emotionally distant father when he was young... and that might have turned him into a commitmentphobe.  To make a long story short, Doug has had it with "The Bachelor" and now I've become too invested to break away.

Anyway, if this Brad Womack truly wants to find a wife, here’s what I think he should do with the women:  Instead of going on helicopter rides to some beyond-the-ordinary-man’s-dating-budget venues, have the women come to his Bachelor pad and clean his house.  While at it, have them cook his meals, do his laundry and wash his car. Those are genuine chores for real-life partners, right?

What’s with all the group date acting exercises?  Is he looking for a near future wife or star material in a soap opera?  It’s probably done to add excitement to his journey of finding Ms. Right.  Honestly, it’s wasteful energy and completely deviates from Brad’s alleged goal.  Since it’s Brad who will end up with the woman, he should have a say on the kind of dates that he finds acceptable.  The acting group date scenario smacks of show biz and I don’t think Brad wants to end up with that kind anyway.

The zipline date in the last episode may be exciting, but is that how guys normally spend the time in looking for wife material?  Even the rappeling down the cliff group date seems ridiculous unless the man is looking for a partner to audition for the Cirque du Soleil.  Oh, now I get it... Brad signed up to promote tourism to those places, right?

I don’t know why the women are always shown in their bikinis, drinking some liquor and squabbling about who is there for the right reasons.  Frankly, I believe that all the girls are there to get away from their boring jobs and lifestyles... even from someone.  Who won't like to have exciting fun at the network's expense and enjoy their television exposure, no matter how short-lived?  I’m not buying that they’re there to “fall in love,” not even the divorced women or women with children.  But I do believe in miracles and God knows what alienation from society during the taping of the show can do to people’s heads.  Hopefully, it ends up finding Brad the match he deserves.

After all that's been said... I can't help but share some titillating news.  I heard from the grapevine that Brad did find the woman who might share his future!  From reports I gathered, the woman is a pretty brunette, one of the mature contenders (read: age close to 30) and comes from a wealthy background.  She has a divorced past so is it safe to assume that she’s no longer a virgin?  Please forgive the naughty thought.  I also heard that our Bachelor spent the past Thanksgiving (after taping wrapped up) with the woman’s family.  If this information is indeed accurate, then Brad meant his vow to find his future spouse.

Quite frankly, I am of the opinion that “The Bachelor” show has made women look like a piece of meat, insulting  my intelligence for so long that I was tempted to no longer take its finding-love-and-getting-married premise for real.  But if Brad’s season ends up with a happy ending, I’ll be so thrilled for Brad and his chosen one.  After all, everyone deserves to be happy even if it means going on national televsion, possibly look ridiculously desperate, to find true love.

If the rumor mill is true, my wish for Brad and his beloved is that their relationship will last much longer than the past pairings made on the show.  After all, Brad Womack sacrificed his privacy to search for the real deal.  He allowed the world into his sacred sanctum by revealing his phobia for commitment.  That can't be easy to do. 

As for the woman, Brad's match, it will disprove my belief that she was there only for her 15 minutes of fame.  Sure, she may have signed up to promote her family's business, but just maybe somewhere along the process, she did fall for Brad.  I'd certainly like to give her the benefit of the doubt.  Times have definitely changed.  Women are no longer content to wait around for the guys in their circle to make the move.  That's probably the reason that Brad's woman made the bold step to sign up for the show.  In addition, if there's the prospect of seeing parts of the world in the package, why not?

But, to see is to believe.  We'll get to know the truth pretty soon.  Hopefully, time will be kind to “The Bachelor.”  You see, I just don't want him to go back to ever being scared of commitment again.  He seems like a nice guy to not be loved by someone.